THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS METHYLENE CHLORIDE. DO NOT USE UNLESS AUTHORIZED.
KEEP AWAY FROM HEAT SPARKS OR FLAME. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. USE ONLY WITH APPROVED HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SAFETY EQUIPMENT. USE WITH VENTILATION AND DO NOT INHALE VAPORS. IF CONTACT OCCURS, IMMEDIATELY FLUSH AFFECTED AREAS WITH WATER FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES. REMOVE CONTAMINATED CLOTHING. IF SWALLOWED, IMMEDIATELY SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.
PROPOSITION 65 WARNING:
THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM. FOR SPECIFICS GO TO: WWW.P65WARNINGS.CA.GOV.
NOTICE OF LIABILITY:
REPEATED AND PROLONGED OVER EXPOSURE TO VAPORS IS HARMFUL WHETHER DELIBERATE OR UNINTENTIONAL. PERMANENT BRAIN AND NERVOUS SYSTEM DAMAGE, OR DEATH MAY OCCUR. SURFACE LABS IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURY TO, OR DEATH FROM, EITHER THE DELIBERATE MISUSE OR NEGLIGENT USE OF ITS PRODUCTS.
DO NOT USE WITHOUT REFERENCE TO THE SDS AND TECHNICAL DATA SHEET. IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN ABOUT THE SAFE USE OF THIS PRODUCT SEE ABOVE REFERENCED WEBSITE. ABSORB SPILLS WITH INERT MATERIAL AND DISPOSE OF MATERIAL IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT HAZMAT REGULATIONS.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
WHAT IS METHYLENE CHLORIDE?
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), methylene chloride is a volatile, colorless liquid used in solvents that are formulated for use by professionals working in industries such as aviation, manufacturing and household fixture reglazing. Methylene chloride is made from methane gas or wood alcohol, which means it is organic, though it is not a naturally-occuring compound. Though the liquid is colorless, it can be identified by its mild, sweet odor.
Methylene chloride (also known as “dichloromethane,” “methylene dichloride,” and “DCM”) is available in several grades and has many uses in a wide range of industrial products, including:
Food-grade DCM is used in the food and beverage manufacturing industry as an extraction solvent – for example, decaffeinating coffee beans and tea leaves*, extracting heat-sensitive fats, creating hops extract for beer – as well as for degreening citrus fruits and diluting color additives and produce-marking ink.
*Due to concern over residual solvent, most decaffeinators no longer use methylene chloride. The US FDA carefully monitors the use of DCM in food products.
Due to DCM’s volatile nature, it evaporates easily and can hang in the air for extended periods and can be inhaled – the most common method of exposure. As DCM does not dissipate quickly, skin exposure is also possible. To reduce the risk of harmful exposure, DCM should only be used in a well ventilated area and proper personal protection should always be employed.
Effects of Exposure
Methylene chloride is considered a potential occupational carcinogen by the World Health Organization (WHO), the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), OSHA, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Depending on the level of exposure, DCM can harm the eyes, skin, liver, heart and reproductive system. Symptoms of exposure can include headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, numbness and tingling limbs, irritation of the skin, eyes and respiratory system, and nausea. Severe exposure can cause loss of consciousness and death. To avoid suffering exposure and related effects, DCM should only be used by workers who have read and understand chemical labels and MSDS and take the proper precautions (ventilation, safety equipment, careful usage). For more information related to health and safety in workplaces that require hazardous chemical use, contact OSHA at 1-800-321-6742.